It is important to try and add these ingredients to your bread machine in the order specified.
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup/60ml milk
1/4 cup/55g butter, melted
1 cup/110g all-purpose/plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/3 cups/300g sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of 1 lemon
For the glaze (do not add to bread machine):
1/3 cup/40g icing/confectioners sugar
1 to 1 and a half tablespoons lemon juice
- Add the ingredients, in order, to the bread machine.
- Choose the “cake” option (or “loaf” option if no “cake” option) and select a “Medium” crust if applicable.
- After around five minutes (or when your first beeps sound) carefully scrape any remaining flour off the edges with a spatula or palette knife.
- After around 1 hour and 50 minutes (the average cake option length) it should be finished – leave aside to cool.
- While the cake is cooling, combine the sifted icing sugar and lemon juice in a bowl to create the glaze. Mix until smooth. You may wish to slightly warm it up in the microwave or over a pan of hot water for a smoother finish.
- Poke lots holes in the top of the cake with a skewer or fork for the glaze to sink into, and pour it over the top.
- Leave until cool to remove from tin.